All child sites connected fine for years and then suddenly the Bluehost ones disconnected

A couple of weeks ago I had a notification that 4 of my 9 sites were disconnected all at the same time. These 4 are all hosted on Bluehost. The other 5 are hosted on various providers, not Bluehost.

All of these sites had been working correctly for almost two years on the various hosts. My MainWP is not hosted on Bluehost.

I’ve contacted Bluehost support and they were not helpful at all. They said they have changed nothing and everything is working fine from their point of view.

It just seems strange that ALL of the Bluehost sites stopped connecting at exactly the same time.

Has anyone else had this problem with Bluehost recently? Any idea of what might be causing the problem? Thanks

Hi @JezHunt

I haven’t seen reports about Bluehost specifically, but these kinds of issues are usually due to some security rules present on child sites.

It’s also possible that a particular combination of a security solution and Bluehost is causing issues.

1. Do you use some security plugins on your child site? If yes, can you try to temporarily disable them and see if that helps?

2. Do you have any security rules present in the .htaccess file where the MainWP Dashboard is installed? If yes, can you try temporarily removing them and see if that helps?

3. Do you use Cloudflare or any other cloud proxy firewall? If yes, can you try to whitelist your Dashboard IP or temporarily disable it to see if that helps?

Hi @bojan

Thank you for your reply. I’ve checked all of the things you have mentioned…

1. I disabled the security plugin All In One WP Security and tried to reconnect again… no joy.
  2. There are no rules in the MainWP dashboard site .htaccess file.
  3. I don’t use Cloudflare or any cloud proxy firewall that I’m aware of.

So I’m still no further forwards.

At the time all of the Bluehost sites disconnected there had been no change to any of the sites nor servers other than anything that may have been changed by Bluehost. I checked with the server for my MainWP dashboard site and nothing was changed.

Also, I would have expected all sites to have disconnected if that was the case?

@JezHunt

Thanks for trying that.

Would you mind opening a private Help Desk ticket so we can collect some additional information & investigate further?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Just to provide an update on this, it appears that Bluehost has made some changes in their server configuration, which has - intentionally or inadvertently - fixed the issue.

1 Like