Child Plugin & re-Adding a Site

I have a multisite with subdomains. One of them has as alias. When I added that site to MainWP it used the alias, which means WordFence will not scan it unless I pay for that site (It does scan all of the sub sites).

SO, I removed the site from MainWP.

Now when I try to add it back using the subdomain it says the site was already added:

“Error detected: This site already contains a link. Please deactivate and reactivate the MainWP plugin.
Hint: Go to the child site, deactivate and reactivate the MainWP Child plugin and try again.”

I have deactivated and reactivated the plugin with no success. I have also tried using the code, and that did not make a difference.

I have not found instructions specific for multisite. I am hoping I do not have to delete the plugin for the entire multisite and then add each site back in?

Hi Mike,

thanks for reaching out.

MainWP is not designed for WPMS setups, also we don’t run active testing on this kind of a setup. However, I will give my best to try to help.

For the start, can you try to check your main site and try to reset the child plugin in there and see if that helps?

I disabled the plugin on the main site, which of course disconnected that site. I enabled the plugin and re-connected the main site with no problems.

I disabled the plugin on the subsite. Tried to connect, of course it failed because the plugin was not activated. Re activated plugin on subsite and attempted to connect. I still get this:

Error detected: This site already contains a link. Please deactivate and reactivate the MainWP plugin.
Hint: Go to the child site, deactivate and reactivate the MainWP Child plugin and try again.

I should note that I have 8 other subsites in the dashboard without issue. BUT this is the first time I tried to delete and re-add a site.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am really not sure what could be causing the problem. As I mentioned earlier, we are not running any tests on WPMS setups.

I am not sure if there are any other users that had this issue and if they can share their experience.

@coughlin I have run into this error in normal setup before and in order to fix it I have to completely remove the Child Plugin from the Child Site. The way the Child Site plugin is built by nature it does not remove itself from the DB during uninstallation. To get around this I have created this tool to use to “Reset” the child plugin.

As @bogdan has already mentioned we can’t take any responsibility if this doesn’t work on a Multi Site installation - but it’s worth a shot to get you back up and running if it works.

Choice is yours.

!!! DO TAKE BAKUPS FIRST !!!
!!! DO NOT RUN THIS ON YOUR MAINWP DASHBOARD !!!
!!! DO TAKE BAKUPS FIRST !!!
!!! DELETE AFTER USE FOR SECURITY !!!

RESET TOOL: ->> Bitbucket

Usage

1. Download the Plugin .Zip
  2. Install like any other Plugin
  3. Active the plugin. It will automatically run and deactivate itself.
  4. Delete the plugin after use by clicking the delete button on the plugin ( there is no Database entries )

Child plugin should ask to be reconnected.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.