Did you know MainWP can install updates for you automatically?

In order to bring some older blog posts back to the light of day I’m reposting some How-To’s in the Community. This was originally a blog post by @bogdan from March 2015

If you want MainWP dashboard to update Plugins and/or Themes automatically for you, you need to enable the Auto Updates feature and to mark plugins (themes) you trust to be automatically updated.

Enabling Auto Updates Feature

To enable auto updates, go to: MainWP > Settings > Global option tab and locate the Upgrade options box:

Blogg1

In Automatic daily update box choose Install Trusted Updates option and click the Save Settings button in the bottom of the page.

Marking Plugins (Themes) as trusted

Setting a Plugin or Theme as Trusted means that YOU trust this plugin/theme and its developer and are choosing to allow MainWP to manage it for you. This means that the MainWP Plugin will only update instances marked as Trusted. By default, all your Themes, Plugins and Blogs are marked as Untrusted. To get started with auto-updates, mark all plugins/themes you trust and turn on the auto-updates feature.

To mark a Plugins (Themes), go to:

1.MainWP > Plugins (Themes) > Auto Updates tab

1. Use the provided filters to refine your search.

2. Click the Show Plugins (Themes) button.

6-p2

Then you need to place a check in the Plugin or Plugins (Themes) box you would like to mark as Trusted. Select Trusted from the drop-down list and click Confirm to save your changes.

Now, your MainWP Dashboard will install trusted updates for you.

2 Likes

Hi Dennis, I’m having problems with the “required backup before update” feature.

It seems no matter what settings I choose, I can’t get it to take an automatic Updraft backup before updating the plugin.

I have checked the following settings:

Extensions >>> UpdraftPlus >>> Settings

UpdraftPlus automatic backups: (ACTIVATED)
Backup (where relevant) plugins, themes and the WordPress database with UpdraftPlus before updating

And on the site level:

Manage Sites >>> Edit

Require backup before update: YES

Manage Sites >>> UpdraftPlus Backups >> Settings

UpdraftPlus Backups Site Settings:
Override general settings: (ACTIVATED)

UpdraftPlus automatic backups: (ACTIVATED)
Backup (where relevant) plugins, themes and the WordPress database with UpdraftPlus before updating

Any insight is appreciated.
Thank you.

1 Like

Note: this refers to both Manual Plugin Updates and Trusted Updates.

1 Like

Please note that Automated UpdraftPlus Backups are not being triggered when running updates through MainWP.

The MainWP feature Require Backup before update warns you if a full backup has not been taken in a certain period of time.

1 Like

Thank you Bogdan,

So there is no way to do a backup before an automated/trusted update?

Janice

1 Like

What about this setting?

Manage Sites >>> UpdraftPlus Backups >> Settings

UpdraftPlus automatic backups:

1 Like

Is it also possible to mark whole website as trusted? I mean scenario that I have group of sites that are staging ones and want to update them automatically. Then on regular basis check functionality of websites in staging group. If everything is fine then go for live updates on production websites.

Right now doing all staging backups manually from MainWP, which is little bit time consuming.

With WordPress 5.5 there have been a lot of updates the last few weeks. It’s been a bit of a pain to launch into each site to perform updates to trigger backups when updating theme/plugins. I can’t find any information with regard to Updraft Plus backups being triggered before updates other than here. Is this feature still being considered?