False confirmation of plugin/theme updates

Testing your plugin out. My sites all run in a read-only application container. Due to this, they all have DISALLOW_FILE_MODS set in wp-config.php. I wanted to check out how your plugin handles situations where someone tries to update a remote site’s plugins/themes where it will fail. In both cases (plugin/themes), it reports a successful update (green check mark to the far right replaces the “Update Now” button and if you hover over it reports “Update successful”), even though the update didn’t (can’t) occur.

I have the latest version of mainwp (4.2.5) installed on the “control” site, and the latest version of mainwp-child (4.2.3) installed each of the “managed” sites. Not sure what additional info you need in order to verify. I could do a screen capture if that would help.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for reporting this problem. I notified our dev team and they will check this asap and as soon as I get some info from them, I will let you know.

1 Like

Hi Paul,

We have been running tests on our side and even with the DISALLOW_FILE_MODS enabled on our test sites, we were still able to perform updates. We double-checked on child sites directly that updates were completed successfully, so there must be something else that affects updates on your setup.

Is there some other rule applied on your sites other than DISALLOW_FILE_MODS by the Read-Only app container? Does it also change filesystem settings? Can you provide us a bit more details about your setup?

1 Like

The application container is read-only, so updates to plugins/themes can’t occur in production since the file system is read-only. All plugin/theme updates are either managed via composer, or in some cases, the plugin/theme files are committed to the repository. We add DISALLOW_FILE_MODS to prevent admins from trying to install new or update plugins/themes since it’s physically not possible because of the read-only nature of the environment and causes confusion.

In the case of your plugin, when I try to update a remote site’s plugin or theme, MainWP will indicate a success even though updates on the remote site failed (and are impossible). I expected MainWP to give me a warning or a notice that the update failed. The success message was a surprise and what prompted me to post the bug notice.

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the additional details.
Would you mind opening a helpdesk ticket so we can collect more info and check this further?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.