Google Analytics Data not populating

Thank you all for the insight.

We will perform additional testing and verify that having multiple Analytics Accounts in the Google Analytics Dashboard, requires multiple Service Accounts.

We will update this thread with findings and update the documentation as needed.

1 Like

That does not work for clients. Each client has their own account for their analytics. Some I created and manage and some they created and manage on their own.

No, I have not. The issue seems to be stemming from the fact that this will only access one account, which can access any of the properties you add the Service Accounts email to, or all of the properties if you add the email to the root account. This does not work across different accounts.

Yes, you’re absolutely right. I was just trying to explain the difference between account vs. property in case it was helpful for anyone.

Clients’ properties are usually under a different account each, so you’ll need a service account per each Analytics account.

The issue comes in that each Service Account requires a different key to be created and MainWP only allows 1 key file to be uploaded. This I feel is not a plausible solution to obtain Google Analytics from each of the client’s accounts.

1 Like

Hello @bojan , I can see all GA accounts but only the last one connected shows data.

I did the following:

1. Enabled APIs
  2. Created one OAuth
  3. Created one Service account
  4. Uploaded JSON
  5. Added service email to 2 different GA4 accounts (for testing)

Result:

• I see all my accounts on the dropdown Screenshot by Lightshot
  • When I connected the first account, it received data
  • When I connected the second account, the second received data, but the first one stopped receiving
  • Widget data and report data are also empty in the first account, after I connected the second

We need a solution for this, I have 100 clients and nothing about GA works after the update.
Also we need a clear doc about how to add multiple accounts. One or multiple OAuths? One or multiple Services? What happens if we have 100 properties in 2-3 different GA Master accounts? We have to add them separately?
Please provide clear instructions. Don’t let us guess and try to figure this out on our own.

Originally posted here: New GA4 Extension - #18 by dichagr but it tranfered it in this support topic.

2 Likes

That’s odd. I managed to upload 9 json files. All my sites are getting data.
Have you tried renaming them before uploading?

OH Crap! I didn’t catch that.

I was under the impression that I only needed one Service Account that would access the View data from any GA4 account the email address was attached to. I did realize I needed to create a Service Account for each GA4 account. I also assumed that I was only able to upload just one JSON file.

I’m good to go now. Issue SOLVED!

• I created a new Service Account email

• Generated the key in this new Service Account and downloaded the JSON file

• Uploaded it to MainWP

• I replaced the first Service Account email address with the new Service Account email address in the second GA4 Analytics account and the data for the second site is pulling in just fine.

1 Like

This is correct.

It is necessary to have a separate Service Account for each Analytics Account you may have in your Dashboard.

But one Service Account can be used as a Viewer for multiple properties within one Analytics Account.

We are in the process of updating our documentation to reflect this.

And we are investigating if it’s possible to streamline this process further.

Thanks Bojan. @angelcandelaria made me aware of this.

There is just one small issue with your screenshot. GA4 PROPERTY does not contain a VIEW tier.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out. That was indeed a view for a UA property.
I’ve updated the screenshot.

1 Like

Glad to be of help, @kwsim

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

@kwsim @xtego @webtailors @angelcandelaria @kitzmillercreative2

We believe we’ve identified an issue with the extension which was causing the inability to see the data of the properties of the Analytics Accounts which you are not the owner of.

We’ve prepared a version with a fix for this. In our testing, we can now see the property data of all Analytics Accounts.

This means that creating a separate Service Account for each Analytics Account will no longer be necessary.

Please try it out for yourself, and let us know if it works for you: Dropbox - mainwp-google-analytics-extension.zip - Simplify your life

After you install this version, go to the extension settings, re-save the settings, and refresh data.
If that doesn’t connect all properties, try re-uploading the JSON Key file.

Alongside that, you will have to add the Service Account email (from a single Service Account!) as a Viewer to all properties.

2 Likes

Hello @bojan
I’ve just updated the (Dropbox) plugin, and then I press “Refresh Data”. To my delight, all the accounts are now visible on my dashboard!

Kudos once again to the MainWP team for their excellent work!

2 Likes

Great, I’m glad it’s working as expected, and thanks for letting us know.

Working here too. Just to note, I had to go into each property that I had previously connected under separate service accounts and re-select the new GA4 in order for the data to start populating. Updating the plugin and refreshing the data did not appear to work until I did that added step.

1 Like

After doing some adjustments in MainWP and GA, I was finally able to get the data from each property to show correctly for each Child Site using one Service Account email. Kudos!!

There is just one major UI issue. The Manage Accounts row runs off the viewport and can’t access the rest of the row. I had to add overflow: scroll style to the div wrapper to access the rest of the row.

1 Like

Great, we’re glad that the changes we’ve made are working as expected.

We’ll look into improving this for the release.

1 Like