How many sites do you maintain with MainWP? Seeking for the champion!

Here’s a test @sebastian-moran did a while back on Vultr and MainWP

2 Likes

I have 235 sites at the moment. And it’s still increasing.

Sites are hosted on various webhosts. My dashboard is on one of my VPSs, where a couple of client’s sites are running as well. Clients are in the Netherlands and Belgium.

7 Likes

33 sites on reseller hosting

4 Likes

At this moment we have 291 Websites in MainWP, most are located on our own servers, and 47 run on VPS servers. 3 on External Webhosters in the Netherland, France and USA

7 Likes

WoW! Really huge number!

Yes the number in the dashboard is a bit higher as we have also 60 dev sites running. I didn’t count them.

2 Likes

1 and counting… slowly (seeking the least amount champion)

5 Likes

:grin: :wink:
It will grow… patience…

2 Likes

Currently, I have 27 clients I watch and monitor through MainWP. I have an additional 27 that are development sites, though based on what I have read, those don’t count. :wink:

4 Likes

I’m currently in a migration from ManageWP over to MainWP, but when all is said and done I think I’ll be around 215 sites. We add on average 3 a month, so by the end of the year we should be creeping up on 250!

6 Likes

Only just starting and have added 22 with another 30 odd to go. Hope to be able to grow it month on month

4 Likes

313 currently, holding off with adding more until we’ve gotten some issues sorted out. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Impressive @oscar - can you tell us more about the issues? Related to MainWP? Resources?

Not any issues with resources, yet at least. Mostly related to user management (roles, giving access to specific sites) at the moment with the Team Control extension. As you can imagine we have quite a few people working on the sites and most of them need access to specific sites.

For example by default when creating a user role, all sites are selected and there’s no deselect all function, so at the moment it’d require 312 clicks to give a specific user access to a specific site. :smiley: According to the MainWP devs this is in the pipeline and coming soon.

And need to create a role unique to each user if every user needs unique privileges, you can’t just create a MainWP user and give that user access to specific sites - permissions are tied to a role, not a user. Very minor issue though and just a slight extra step when setting up new users.

The Wordfence extension turned out to have a number of issues: Bugs in Wordfence extension plus what’s missing from that thread is that you cannot browse sites per site group, which would be necessary if you want to check/scan the sites from a specific server for example.

And by default the Team Control extension allows any user to access the regular admin backend and can from there escalate their privileges as they please - have devised a crude solution for this by redirecting ^/wp-admin/index.php$ to /wp-admin/admin.php?page=mainwp_tab which deters curious clickers of the “Go to WP Admin” button. :slight_smile: Will definitely need to come up with something more secure/useful before scaling up.

Just some off the top of my head. There are tons of positives though - quite reliable client sync, the ability to add sites in bulk… in fact most of the issues are due to the extensions - the core product is quite excellent!

1 Like

Thank you @oscar for the feedback, really appreciate it. I can image how time consuming it can be to click trough 312 checkboxes! Pretty sure MainWP team will come with a solution shortly… Thanks again!

For the people that are managing a large number of sites (100+).

How many people do you have to help with the workload? Is it just you? Can you scale to a certain number before support requests get to be too much?

2 Likes

I’m at 200 sites and out source probably half of my support.

1 Like

Close to 3000 sites, around 100 people (developers, devops, content, SEO…) working on the sites.

Really depends on the type and size of site(s) and what type of support you’re supposed to provide.

I have a handful of personal sites which I touch maybe a couple of times per year so I’d have no problem scaling them up to, say, 20-30 sites without feeling overwhelmed doing everything (dev/content/SEO) myself. But for example of the top 10 sites in our organization I definitely wouldn’t even want to manage a single one of them by myself.

2 Likes

3000 sites, wow, what is your secret…

Probably should ask this in the FB group, I did that once, got some big amounts. Chris Bourne has like a 1K or something. Seems like someone else was up there too. Rob Cairns pushing 400.