How to run MainWP on a Mac running LocalWP

Hi All

I installed MainWP on a Wordpress instance running on LocalWP localhost environment on a Mac but I kept running into an error whenever I tried to add a site to MainWP.

With some help from the folks over at the LocalWP forum I finally figured out how to fix it.

A search for openssl.cnf on my Mac running macOS Catalina came up with 17 different results.

I looked through the paths one by one and most of them looked like they were associated with Wordpress plugins but then I came across one that looked more like the examples I’d seen in one of my Google searches and it worked.

For anyone having the same issue here are the steps I followed:

1. Install LocalWP for Mac

2. Install MainWP on the Wordpress installation running on LocalWP using all default settings

3. In the MainWP dashboard navigate to Settings > MainWP Tools

4. Click the " Quick Setup Wizard" button

5. Click “Let’s Go” and select “Localhost” and “Windows” radio buttons.

6. Enter the following path into the box that opens up once you select “Windows”

/private/etc/ssl/openssl.cnf

1. Click “Continue” to ensure the path you entered is saved

Then it’s just a matter of either completing the wizard to add your first site or exiting the wizard and adding a website by clicking the “New Site” button at the top right of every page in the MainWP dashboard.

Oh and to find the path of the files I was looking at… open a Finder window and make sure “Show Path Bar” is enabled in the “View” menu. For each file you single-click on in the Finder you’ll see a path at the bottom of the Finder window.

Use either Ctrl-Click, 2 finger tap or Right-Click on the file name in the path to reveal the option to “Copy FILENAME as Pathname”. See attached image

Finding the openssl file

2 Likes

Hi @DigiMonarch, thank you very much for sharing your solution. I am sure it will help other users that run into the same problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.