Problem reconnecting website after migration to new host

Hey Folks,

Migrated a long time connected website from one host to SiteGround.

Initially had the migrated site set up on a SiteGround temporary domain and had that site connected to my Mainwp dashboard.

Completed the migration today, deleted the temporary site from my mainwp dash, deactivated the mainwp child on the migrated website and the old website.

Reactivated the mainwp child on the new, siteground site. Turned on the security token option, set the token in the editor panel for the migrated site and hit TEST CONNECTION. All good. Got back the HTTP 200 result.

Tried the reconnect the migrated site. No good. Only can get the "MainWP Child plugin not detected or could not be reached! Ensure the MainWP Child plugin is installed and activated on the child site, and there are no security rules blocking requests. If you continue experiencing this issue, check the "

message. BTW… there is nothing list after the 'check the ’ line at the end of the error message.

Is there a sys log I can check somewhere that will give me some indications of what is going on . The migrated site is available via the browser. I can jump to the front page of the site from within mainwp dash, just won’t connect.

I tried deactivating, deleting and re-activating mainwp child and changed the security token. No changes to the result. I have tried to reset all the file permissions on the host. No change. I have deactivated my Wordfence security plugin and htaccess is WordPress minimal.

Nothing is showing up in the debug log.

Please advise. I’d really prefer not to have to delete the site and start from scratch. I’ve have a lot of history on this site in mainwp and I’d rather not scratch all that.

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,

Usually, after site migration, it can take up to a few days before the DNS cache clears from your dashboard site server and DNS starts resolving properly.

I assume that your dashboard is still sending requests to the old IP address of the child site.

When you run the Test Connection feature and get a success message, do you get the IP address of the child site too? If yes, is it the correct IP?

If you want, you can wait for a day or two and see if the issue resolves, or if you prefer, you can ask your dashboard site host provider to flush DNS cache from the server and see if that speeds up the process.

If that doesn’t help, please let me know and we can check and see if there is something else causing the problem.

Ah… That is it. Thanks. My MainWP instance on AWS Litesail still sees the domain at Inmotionhosting. I had cleared all the caches I could find, and made sure that DNS had propagated everywhere, EXCEPT my dashboard’s hosting server.

Thanks guys. I need to set up the flushing apps on my Litesail and go from there.

I’ll touch back after I’ve completed that.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the updat.
I am glad I could help. Let us know how it goes.

Hi Folks,

Today the migrated site has reconnected itself and the TEST CONNECTION is showing the correct (NEW) IP address.

Sorry to bring a cache issue to you for resolution, but I did learn a couple things from this exchange.

• TEST CONNECTION gives to the actual IP Address of the site it is trying to connect to.
  • Clearing the DNS cache on an AWS Litesail/Bitnami WordPress Apache instance is a PITA.

As always, your support is spot on.

Thanks.
Matt

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.