Re: 17 sites suddenly disconnected, and cannot be reconnected despite connection test succeeding

Hi!

As of this morning… the same 17 sites (as mentioned here ) are disconnected again. So here’s an update.

As suggested, I tried the following:

• disabling cloudflare DNS proxy - this fixed the problem right away, bit unfortunately also led to issues with SSL, BB and uptimerobot reported the site as down, and I don’t have time today to trouble-shoot my way through all that :slight_smile: Please also note that the 17 sites were not disconnected either time are proxied.

• creating an access rule for the server IP (as noted in Info → Server) in the cloudflare firewall settings via Security → WAF → Tools → IP Access Rules → Allow; this didn’t solve the problem (still can’t connect)

Hi @marleen

Sorry to hear that the issue is back.

What result do you get for the disconnected sites when you perform the “Test Connection” on the MainWP Dashboard > Sites > Add New page?

And do you use any other Cloudflare services on these disconnected sites?
We’ve had reports of other CF services, such as Bot Fight Mode causing disconnection issues.

What result do you get for the disconnected sites when you perform the “Test Connection” on the MainWP Dashboard > Sites > Add New page?

I get a 200 for Test Connection from “Edit”, and have also been able to remove and re-add Unique security IDs.

I just removed a site to be able to see what happens when I use Add New, and Test Connection works fine (200 still) but I can’t add it:

MainWP Child plugin not detected or could not be reached! Ensure the MainWP Child plugin is installed and activated on the child site, and there are no security rules blocking requests. If you continue experiencing this issue, please review this Knowledgebase document, and if you still have issues, please let us know in the MainWP Community.
Click [here](javascript:void(0)) to see response from the child site.

And do you use any other Cloudflare services on these disconnected sites?
We’ve had reports of other CF services, such as Bot Fight Mode causing disconnection issues.

No, just super basic DNS - the setup is the same for all sites, except the one site where I allow-listed the server IP yesterday.

Repsonse: https://codepen.io/almostronaut/pen/JjBqdMO

The Codepen response you’ve provided is coming from Cloudflare. This would indicate that the whitelisting of the Dashboard IP in WAF didn’t work, or that there is another CF service blocking the connection.

Would you be able to contact Cloudflare support and have them check which of their services is either blocking or performing verification on connections coming from the Dashboard?

I’ll get on that, thank you

I dug a little deeper into the Codepen response you shared. It appears that the response is coming from a server-side firewall, such as Imunify360, that hosting companies are employing.

The firewall detects what it thinks is malicious activity, it intercepts the request and sends an interstitial page which is the request from the Codepen.

If that is indeed the exact scenario in this case, the solution would be to adjust CloudFlare Page Rules as explained in this Immunify360 help article: Using Cloudflare “Cache Everything” with Imunify360

If this doesn’t resolve the issue or if your host doesn’t use Immunify360, please reach out to them and ask them to investigate the possibility of their server-side security measure blocking the connection.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.