Sites Groups - Extend with additional Categories and Tags?

Hello everyone,
we are managing a network of a couple of hundred websites.

Currently, we use Groups to mark our Verticals (content-related categories)

We would like to add two new taxonomies to the Sites List
-Partners - to categorise the sites also based on the business partner of the sites.

-Tags - we would like to be able to assign multiple tags to each site.

Right now we see two options:

1. Create custom tables + CRUD interfaces for those taxonomies, and relational tables to link them up with Site Id’s

2. Use the Groups for all of those, and add prefixes like “Partner - someName”, “Tag - someTag”, “Vertical - someVertical”, and then whenever we need some of this data, filter by the prefix (we pass and use the categorisation in the child sites and in a Reporting Dashboard"
    Sadly, this will lead to a complete mess in the Groups, especially when we add all the tags…

So my question is,
does someone have an insight on what would be a good approach to add extra Taxonomies to the Sites, pretty much the same way one would add to a normal WordPress Custom Post Type?

Thank you very much,
Alex

Hi Alexander,

thanks for reaching out.

Can you please provide us a bit more details about your requirement? I am not 100% sure I fully understand.

Hey Bogdan,
Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough.
Currently, MainWp has only one type of categorisation - Groups (basically, this is the only taxonomy for the Child Sites Taxonomies – WordPress.org Documentation)

We would like to add two more:
Partners
Tags

Normally in WordPress, this is done by registering new taxonomy (How to Create Custom Taxonomies in WordPress),
we see that mainwp doesn’t have support for something similar, so I am asking for some high-level ideas and suggestions how we can add Tags to our Child Sites, and also categorise them by Partner, while keeping the current Groups, as we use them to categorise based on site vertical/content-topic.

I hope it makes sense :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for getting back to me and for the additional details. I believe that I understand your requirement now :slight_smile:

At the moment, there is no filter for creating custom taxonomies like WP provides for Posts or other post types.

Something like this could be accomplished by writing a custom code (or even custom Extension) that would work similar to our “Groups” code and use provided hooks to to add the settings options to the Site Edit page and create custom columns in the Manage Sites table.

If you are interested in this approach you can check the https://mainwp.dev/ for hooks reference.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.