MainWP Child plugin not detected / WPENGINE with IDP

I looked at the other threads with a similar issue and it didn’t seem to address my specific use-case. So I do apologize if there’s something I missed.

Error
MainWP Child plugin not detected or could not be reached! Ensure the MainWP Child plugin is installed and activated on the child site, and there are no security rules blocking requests.

Background
The site in question is hosted on WPENGINE, but we’re using a custom-built IDP to authenticate users before we land on Wordpress. It does create a Wordpress user, but isn’t authenticating in /wp-admin

My Question
Is MainWP trying to authenticate the admin username against /wp-admin or will it bypass the IDP we have set up with the security token?

I also don’t see anything in WPENGINE that would prevent the plugin to be working - as there’s no direct firewall to edit/access.

Has anyone dealt with this?

Hey @sfxdotcom

Welcome to the MainWP community.

Looks like your custom IDP might be blocking MainWP Child from connecting through /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php.

1. Make sure your IDP and security settings allow MainWP to talk to /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php on your child site.
  2. See if your IDP is stopping access to WordPress admin or /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php. Adjust as needed.
  3. Double-check that your site’s security isn’t blocking MainWP.
  4. You might need to temporarily disable IDP to let MainWP connect initially. Then, switch it back on.

I was thinking of turning off the IDP for that - but would MainWP still be able to connect after it’s reenabled?

I am not entirely sure.

It may be necessary to create some further adjustments afterward, but I would say that temporarily disabling it to connect the site is a good first step.

no such luck :frowning:

What’s weird is that the plugin works fine with other sites on the same server - so I’m not inclined to believe it has to do with any permissions.

We’re rolling out a whole new version of the site soon - so I’m hoping its just something buried in the code.

Thanks for trying that.

In that case, something else is blocking the connection from the Dashboard.

​1. Do you use security plugins on your child site? If yes, can you temporarily disable them and see if that helps?
2. Are there any security rules present in the child site’s .htaccess file? If yes, can you temporarily remove them and see if that helps?
3. Do you use Cloudflare or any other cloud proxy firewall? If so, can you try to whitelist your Dashboard IP or temporarily disable it to see if that helps?
​4. Do you use any kind of server-side security measures such as mod_security or server-side firewalls? If yes, can you try to temporarily disable them and see if that helps?
5. If none of the above helps, can you please contact your host support and have them check Firewall logs and see if there are any records of blocked requests from your dashboard?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.