Need a hand with maldet / ClamAV Ask The Community

Hi all,

I’ve been busy researching how to install and configure maldet and ClamAV on my webservers. At this moment I have installed it on my DEV server and things look good, but I’m left with two questions. I hope there’s someone here to help me out with these last points.

If this requires some hands-on work, I’m willing to pay a colleague to help out.

1. Maldet is not sending me a mail after a scan

I want maldet to send me a mail after each daily scan, even no malware was found. In the logs I see that maldet did it’s job properly, but when it’s done it’s not sending mail. There are no errors in logs, to indicate that maldet tried to send a mail, but failed. If I test sending a mail with the ‘mail’ command, it works properly.

In maldet.conf I’ve set these variables:

email_alert=”1”
email_addr=”[email protected]
email_ignore_clean=”0”

2. Do a full scan or it save to always just scan to changed files?

If I understand correctly, the cron is doing a scan of changed files. Is that safe enough? Or should I set it to do a full scan each week (for example). And if yes, how would I do that?

@RickHeijster I’m finding this weird as well:

This person stated they did a whereis on mail but they are still telling them to install mail…

1 Like

I found another thread that says to look at your email logs to see where it actually went…

https://forums.centos.org/viewtopic.php?t=62394

You may be able to run Maldet manually from Terminal to see if it throws any errors:

1 Like

Thanks Keith! I appreciate your research.

The system is able to send reports. When I request a report manually ( for instance: maldet --report 240306-0630.33687 [email protected]), the report is sent to my inbox without issue.

However, when I run a scan (manually or daily with Cron), no report is sent. Very frustrating… :frowning:

1 Like

@RickHeijster Really sorry to hear that. Hopefully somebody else has used that tool before and can chime in. You may get better responses from a dedicated Linux Forum like: https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.