Questions About the New Backup API

So I want to kick the tires on the new Back-Up API…it might just be what I need to come back over to MainWP.

My sites are on GridPane (Developer) and hosted on various servers (Vult & Hetzner primarily).

1. In order for this to work do I need to enable both a Cloud Manager and a VPS Provider? Or do I enable just one of them?
  2. Where are the back-ups stored at on the server?
  3. Any plans to S3 storage like Backblaze or Wasabi?

Hey @graceatwork

1. You can add API for either GridPane or for one of the supported VPS providers. Our suggestion is to add GridPane API.
  2. The backups are stored on the host, in the same location as if you were doing them directly on the host.
  3. Please feel free to make a suggestion about this on our feedback site. That way, others can vote for it, letting us know which features our users want the most.
1 Like

Hi @bojan , is this extension doing an API call to request Gridpane/Cloudflare or a VPS create a local backup of the website on essentially the same server it is hosted on? I was considering this as a potential backup replacement for something like WPVivid but from what I understand this would not allow any redundancy so if the server went down, the backup would also be unavailable/lost?

GridPane and Cloudways have their own backup solutions, so when you issue an API call to them, they will perform the backup and store it on their own servers. Thus, it could serve as a redundancy backup solution alongside WPVivid.

If you were to issue an API call to the VPS instead, the backups would be stored locally and could be potentially lost if the server became unavailable.

So, there is a clear advantage in using a Cloud Manager API if that option is available to you.

1 Like

Thanks @bojan , I don’t use GridPane or Cloudways but I will keep an eye out should RunCloud become available on this extension. :+1:

2 Likes

+1 to Runcloud integration

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.