The First Major WordPress Core Release of 2023 is Now Out

WordPress 6.2 was released earlier today.

1 Like

Make sure that site themes are kept updated.

• Some themes and theme-frameworks are reporting Out Of Memory (OOM) errors and infinitely loading websites caused by how they interact with media elements in WordPress and attempting to opt into only showing audio or video. Look for updates from your theme vendors to resolve this issue. The problem appears related to WordPress change r55271, but should ideally be resolved by your themes or plugins.

We have identified the issue and will be pushing out a hotfix momentarily for X (10.1.10) and Pro (6.1.10). You can update to this version and it will fix the issue. If you are already on WordPress 6.2, remove the X/Pro folder, download a new copy in your dashboard, and then re-upload and change your theme back to X/Pro OR if you wish to manually fix the issue you can add return; to line 194 of framework/legacy/functions/plugins/cornerstone.php

Hi @sebastian-moran,

Thanks for sharing.
For all of the users of MainWP, it is always a good idea to wait a week or two before pushing WP Core updates to your clients’ sites… You need to give time to the developers of plugins and themes to catch up on any issues with their products. Usually, we wait 2 weeks as we don’t want to fix +190 websites!

Fred

2 Likes

Good plugin/theme developers have had a couple of months (since beta versions) to test there product. So if a site crashes after a WP core update, you might even need to consider if you should be using the problematic plugin/theme at all or find a better alternative

If you are using complex websites, you might need to test the beta version yourself using the WordPress Beta Tester – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org plugin on a staging environment.

As I explained in the Facebook group I hardly ever have critical issues after a WP core update, as long as plugins and themes have been updated before the core update. :slight_smile:

Hi @josklever,
If you are lucky enough to have 100% control of what is installed on client’s sites, good for you!
We don’t and sometimes we get some “exotic” plugins or custom-made ones…
And yes, developers are plenty of time to adapt but how many are waiting last minute or after it breaks? A lot!
Also, staging is nice to have for complex sites but not viable when you are managing hundreds of websites.
We found that the 2 weeks waiting works pretty well in our case and that is why I made the comment here.

I don’t build the sites, so I can only advise my clients if they are using bad plugins/themes. And if something goes wrong, it’s an exception and I’ll do a rollback or try to offer a quick fix and it should be reported directly to support of the theme/plugin. Hopefully they handle it well or the advice to replace the item is given to the client.

On more complex sites there’s also a bigger chance that you just run into an exceptional issue, that still exists after two weeks, because nobody else finds/reports that bug.

Of course you should use the method that’s working best for you, but I just want to let people know, that updates are more reliable than others say. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.