Theme updates detected but not able to update via mainWP

I have multiple Websites with the YooTheme PRO installed. MainWP detects that updates are available, but unable to do that. If you click on “update now” it shows the checkmark but if you go to the Website the update is still open. I have marked this theme as trusted, and the update function works with all plugins across 40 Sites but not with this specific Theme.

Hi @robnzombiz

Welcome to the MainWP community.

Can you please go to the WP Admin of one of those sites and see if you can update the theme manually, or do you get some kind of error?

Also, can you try performing a fresh Dashboard synchronization so that the Dashboard gets fresh information from child sites, and then try updating only that theme, and nothing else, via MainWP Dashboard and see if that works?

1 Like

Hi @bojan and thank you for your fast response!
I already did that and if you do it manually there is no problem. I also did your second suggestion and synced all websites from the dashboard and than only tried to update one of those affected themes, didn’t work.
But weirdly, some websites with this Yootheme PRO installed get updated via mainWP. I have no clue what can cause this issue.

After the update, if you klick on the “door-icon” you get into the WP-Admin area where you instantly can see that the theme has not been updated:
Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 15.35.29

I can confirm that this has been an issue since 4.5 and I have seen it with Astra and Storefront (both free in the repository). I have seen it across hosting platforms.

Is there anything in common with the sites that aren’t getting the theme update?

​For example, do they have a plugin installed that other sites do not that might be causing a conflict?
Do they all have the same PHP version, which is different than the other site?
Are they all using the same hosting provider?

And can you try temporarily disabling all other plugins on one of the affected child sites and see if you can update the theme via MainWP Dashboard?

Hi @7thcircle

Can they be manually updated via the MainWP Dashboard at all? Or is only automatic update failing?
Does it happen on all child sites with these themes installed?
Can the themes be updated directly on the child site?

Is there anything in common with the sites that aren’t getting the theme update?

Some of them yes, and some of them don’t

​For example, do they have a plugin installed that other sites do not that might be causing a conflict?
Do they all have the same PHP version, which is different than the other site?
Are they all using the same hosting provider?

• At one page I disabled all plugins and it didn’t work.
  • They have all the same PHP Version
  • different Providers
  • also the theme Version doesn’t matter (the update from 4.0.8 to 4.0.11 doesn’t work as well as from 4.0.10 to 4.0.11)

Thank you for the additional information.

Would you mind opening a private Help Desk ticket so we can collect some additional information & investigate further?

And please refer to this Managers thread by its URL in the ticket.

I can update manually on the child itself.

I don’t do auto updates of anything, but when I do a manual update of a single site it will vary and sometimes a site will take the update, and sometimes it won’t. It is not all sites running the theme (or plugin). I can do a manual update for a single site and it will tell me it worked, but won’t work so I know it is not related to how fast or how many sites I am syncing.

Thanks for the additional details, @7thcircle .

Considering this occurs only sometimes when updating these themes, this sounds more like an issue with the child sites themselves. It could be a temporary issue with the server resources.

When this occurs, have you tried triggering the update again via the Dashboard, and does it end up successfully performing these specific updates at any point?

Yes, I have retried. On themes it might take 2 or 3 tries, on some plugins it never works, on others 2 or 3 tries.

Thanks for the update.

If it succeeds after several tries, then it is almost certainly due to the child site and not due to MainWP. The most likely cause is temporary issues with server resources.

If you know which plugins can never be updated via MainWP but show an available update, please do let us know, and we will take a closer look.

RankMath Pro, Astra Pro, Perfmatters are all notorious culprits that I end up having to update on the child manually.

Astra (theme) is the major theme issue, and generally I just update it on the child directly.

We couldn’t reproduce the issue with the Astra theme or the Astra Pro plugin. Updates were performed without fail on multiple sites.
So at least for these two, the issue is likely due to server resources on the child sites.

However, if you are unable to update any of these themes or plugins via MainWP Dashboard at all, no matter how many tries you attempt, and you are indeed able to update them directly on the child site, please open a private Help Desk ticket and we will take a closer look.

And please refer to this Managers thread by its URL in the ticket.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.