WordPress Incremental Update

Hi,

I’m currently using WP Downgrade plugin to incrementally update to newer WP Versions as that’s been the most stable approach with client sites.

Is there any way to do this via MainWP?

Thanks

I don’t think it’s possible, but you shouldn’t need it. Just update plugins first, than themes, than WordPress and if it was a big jump there might be some new plugin/themes updates after that.

When a site is behind with updates a lot, it would be best to update directly via the site anyway. And if it’s a critical website, first test it on a staging environment.

1 Like

Thanks for chiming in @josklever

I do tend to follow that procedure but I’m a bit too careful and this process has become part of a good workflow and resulted in more stability.

WP Downgrade simply changes the WP target version to whatever you choose. I’m wondering if the same can be done via a simple code.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Hi @kgps

Unfortunately, MainWP doesn’t offer an out-of-the-box solution for that.

If you come across a code snippet that can change the WP target version, you can apply that snippet across all desired child sites using our Code Snippets extension.

And please feel free to make a suggestion about this on our feedback site. That way, others can vote for it, letting us know which features our users want the most.

1 Like

The last almost 9 years I’ve been updating a lot of old websites with years of missing updates and the only time I had to do an update in multiple steps was with a very old Avada theme, where the PHP version was ancient as well. The newer version didn’t work on the old PHP and the old version not on the newer PHP and theme options needed some migration steps as well, so that was a challenge. But again, I wouldn’t do that via MainWP.

But I can understand that in more complex installations it might be necessary to update in steps. I just wanted to let you know that WordPress itself can handle very large steps so it would really be an exception if it didn’t work.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.